Thoughts and observations on Green Arrow, classical liberalism, freedom, comic books and matters of social justice.

Friday, November 7, 2008

Poor people still scare me

I walked by a man on the street today who was asking passersby for any change for food. He asked me as well, I pretended not to hear him. It was right next to a church. I told myself he's probably going to use the money for something nefarious, as if that mattered. As my wife and I always say, someone else's poor behavior doesn't excuse my own.

There are several homeless people around my area, they talk to themselves a lot. They stand and sit in doorways to abandoned buildings. They look through old newspapers and sleep on sheets of dirty cardboard. Whenever I see a homeless person I become nervous, not of them, but of my own life.

There are no guarantees in this world and no one is looking out for you. How many overextended Americans are a paycheck away from homelessness. It makes all the plastic crap I buy seem dangerous and stupid. I wish I had given something to that man now.

One day I fear I'll be called to answer for that slight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.