Thoughts and observations on Green Arrow, classical liberalism, freedom, comic books and matters of social justice.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

With one magic word...


I had thought with Jeff Smith’s “SHAZAM: The Monster Society of Evil” completed, the classic Captain Marvel would again regress into the shadows of DC. For the past year or so a maxi series entitled “The Trials of SHAZAM” had been published. It attempted to update the Marvel Family as the central magical characters in the DC Universe. It did so by “modernizing” Cap into a more mystical entity and updated Billy Batson as the new wizard SHAZAM. It was written by Judd Winick and I didn’t buy it (in both senses of the word).

However, I now find out the man responsible for Hero Bear and the Kid, writer/artist Mike Kunkel, will be working on “Billy Batson and the Magic of SHAZAM!” from DC’s kid friendly Johnny DC line. The artwork is dead on to my idea of the character, right down to the buttoned shirt flap and belt sash. It seems to follow in the footsteps of Smith in that Billy’s sister remains the same age when she’s Mary Marvel. A new development to the mythos is with the character of Black Adam; he too has a teenage counterpart like Cap, named Theo Adam.

This series is right on-time for me, I’ve wanted to get my youngest son a monthly subscription to a comic as a fun way to help him along with his reading, and now we’ll have a book we’ll both love (hopefully!).

I’ll forgo my ban on monthly books so my son can get something for himself in the mail, and this will support a book I hope lasts longer than 18 issues. And if it’s real good I’ll pick up the trade for myself down the road.

SHAZAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.